Monday, August 21, 2006

Inquiring minds... might not want to know

"Curiosity isn't as bad as they say. My cat and I are both still alive and scratching."

Following are answers to some questions I have been getting thrown at me. It is my own FAQ post! I feel so official.

When: I am leaving the states August 31st. I return October 15th.
Where: Nairobi, Kenya and surrounding areas
What: For the first four weeks of my adventure, I will be volunteering at the Hurumana Children's Home and spending time with children who have been orphaned by AIDS or otherwise. I will be staying on site at the orphanage in a cozy building with other female volunteers.

The great (and scary) thing about this project is it is very open ended. Apparently, the people who run the orphanage do not like to order around volunteers. So, it is up to me to get myself involved in a project, or to start my own. I can make what ever I want out of this opportunity. I can just join up with the coaching of sports or teaching in a classroom.

If I can get my butt in gear, I am thinking about arranging a project more focused around art. I do not know if I will have the supplies to make everything I think of happen, but I would like to try any way. These are things I should plan out before I leave. But, will I? (If you don't know the answer, see previous post.)
I have a few old cameras that I no longer use that I could probably bring and teach photography with. The cameras are all film and will be easier, I think, to get the results back to the children quicker than digital.

Here is the website of the place i will be:
hurumachildrenshome.org

For the rest of my stay, I will be working with lions. I do not really know what I will be doing exactly yet, but here is the website for that project.
http://www.wah.co.za/

I will, hopefully, not be too preoccupied to keep this site up to date so people can follow me through my projects.

And just so you know, yes Africa does have electricity. They do have internet. And, they have phone lines. So, I will be able to keep in contact when I find the time. Africa is not all wilderness, nor all desert, nor most things people like to think it is.

No comments: