Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Be prepared to be unprepared

"I love deadlines... and the whooshing sound they make as they fly by"

So I leave for Kenya in 16 days. I JUST got my packet of information on how to get ready for my trip. This comes a few weeks late, in my opinion, seeing as I needed to get some immunizations 6 weeks prior to departure. I admit, I should have probably researched this on my own. But, if you know me, you know that pre preperation is just not my thing.

I am the queen of procrastination. I feel that anything worth doing can be done later. I have yet to plan a trip. My excursions to Ireland, Europe, Costa Rica, all were left unplanned.

I remember family vacations, going some where cool, Jamaica, England, Hawaii. But, by eight in the morning on the first morning of "vacation" we would have to be off doing something pre planned until the sunset. I am not much for the regular touristy sites. History, buildings, 'sights' just aren't my thing.

So, my vacations have been the exact opposite, so much so, I am lucky to have a plane ticket in time. Ok, maybe it has not been that unplanned. But, everything else on the trip was based on recomendations of people I meet when I get where i am going.

I am starting to realize, however, that maybe I should not have treated this trip to Africa the same as traveling to European destinations.

So, I have 16 days to get immunized, get a visa, get packed and get prepared.

No comments: