Sunday, May 06, 2007

Suit Up

"What ever happened to believing in 'the clothes make the man'?"














In life, I have learned, as I am sure many have learned, that dressing appropriately for a job interview can be crucial. This usually means wearing suit of some sort with a plain colored button down shirt underneath and some nice shoes that one would not wear to play sports in.

For my first job out of college, I carried that look over in to my every day job. Now, I realized quickly that I tended to be a bit more dressed up than my co workers, but not so much that it made me feel out of place in a suit. After awhile I felt more OK coming in some days to the office wearing the suit without the suit coat. But, when it came to meetings and such, I would suit up appropriately, as I learned to do in interviews. And, for the most part, I felt I was met equally with appropriate business attire.

Now, I do not know if it is a regional thing, or the city I live in, or if in the nine months I was out of the corporate world companies just lost all taste for 'business professional', but coming upon someone in a suit has become a scarcity.

In my three months of interviewing, riding the bus, walking around the financial district, being interviewed in offices, I saw almost no one sporting a suit. Companies seem to be promoting 'casual attire' more and more these days. They use it as a selling point in interviews. Being a jeans and tshirt company is like a badge of honor to these companies and it is spreading like a plague.

I just accepted a job where the dress code demands you be casual, but really in this day and age, do I have much of a choice? It seems you have to be a lawyer to be expected to go to work everyday dressed in a suit.

Maybe I am strange, but I like getting up in the morning and putting on some black lined pants with a nicely ironed button down tshirt topped with a nice suit coat and heading out to work. I really do believe that the clothes make the man, and that the more formal you are dressed, the more formal you tend to act, and in the end the more work you tend to get done. It is hard to slack off in a suit.

I think the world needs more business professional attire required professions. Or, maybe I should just go to law school.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. Sloppy dressing tends to lead to sloppy work. I wonder, have people lost respect for themselves? mom

Anonymous said...

That mentality makes no sense. Clothes reflect the man, they don't make him. Judging a person based on how they dressed is pretty shallow. I choose to be tshirt and jeans and be judged by you as having "lost respect" rather than pretending to be someone I am not.

pjleffelman said...

I ashame you don't I :(

Mish said...

personally, i love wearing a t-shirt and jeans to work everyday!!!

Carolyn said...

I think the animation industry is a little different where it is good to wear fun comfy clothing cuz you are doing fun things... It wasnt meant for everyone, just I miss wearing suits to work.

Carolyn said...

And, I never said that wearing tshirt and jeans was losing respect, that came from someone else's comment not my post

Kristie said...

I am currently at my desk in my pj's. (not your PJ, nightclothes). but then again I work from home, so nobody gets to see me. which I like. Now whenever we go out anywhere I make more of an effort to dress up. or at least I try to...

Unknown said...

Incidentally, I AM a lawyer and we don't wear suits everyday. Only when meeting with clients or going to court. One of the things I looked forward to in becoming a lawyer was getting to wear cool suits everyday. However, that wears off within two weeks. Also...we eat at our desks a lot, and drycleaning is expensive!