Saturday, September 02, 2006

Living and breathing in the thin air up here

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate; our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, who are we to be beautiful, talented, brilliant. But really, who are you not to be?"



I made it. Today is my first day (awake) in Kenya. I have already had some wonderful, and terrifying experiences. True, most were in transit to Kenya, but still.

On the first leg of my flight, I was very disappointed with my movie choices. There was RV, Inside Man, which I saw the night before, and have to agree with Burke's Review. And, Akeelah and the Bee.

I decided to watch Akeelah and the Bee, unexcitedly. To my surprise, it was very good. I know you probably will not take my advice, but you should watch it. I laughed I cried, I cried some more.

Then, my second leg of my flight, I felt like I was going to cry because damn British Air only lets you take one carry on. Despite me having two very small bags, I had to check one of them. Which meant, I had to go through customs, recheck in, and go through security again.

The line was so long.. If it had not been for the random kid from NY who kept me distracted by talking (and talking and talking) about his travels around the world, I would have cried I am sure. But, thankfully, we made it. I found out, we were both headed to Kenya on the same flight. Sadly, not really (he talked a lot), I did not see him after we boarded the plane to Nairobi.

Next, I arrived. I made it through all the people trying to trick me to use their transportation, and finally found the people who came to pick me up.

I fell asleep right when we got to the orphanage and had a surprisingly good night of sleep. Bug Free!



Today I toured the orphanage and the surrounding area. I have already met some of the other volunteers. Two of the girls, Sarah and Freya have made me very thankful for my amazing boyfriend. They both have boyfriends back in their countries (Toronto and Belgium). And, apparently their men are not as supportive as they would like. Freya has been dating this boy for 6 years and is on this trip for 6 weeks as well and is not sure the relationship will last when she returns. Both boys are not happy about the girls' choice to travel alone, and to Africa.

I am very thankful that I have the people who care about me the most being as supportive as they are. I do not know if I would have made it here with out that support.

So, Thank you to all of you.

It is tea time now.

Hakuna Matata
(they actually say that here!... Though I have been told to be weary of that phrase because if it is used, it means there probably is a good reason to be worried.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're OK.

Love you,

Mom